During our last session, you spent the night at the old church in the Village of Barovia. You discovered that the wolves and bats and the vampire Strahd had left by morning. You then decided to leave the village and head for the Town of Vallaki, escorting Ireena there in hopes that she will be safer. Accompanied by her and Ismark, you left the village and decided to take the shortcut by the Tser Pool where a group of Vistani were encamped. You then decided to visit the tent of Madam Eva, the Vistani elder of the clan. She recognized all of you when you entered and seemed to know details about your lives, even from before you came to this strange land, and asked if you would like to have your fortunes told. You agreed and sat down. She pulled out a deck of cards and proceeded to give a reading. She drew the following cards in this order, and said:
- 3, Soldier of Swords: This card tells of history. Knowledge of the ancient will help you better understand your enemy. Go to the mountains. Climb the white tower guarded by golden knights.
- 9, the Torturer of Swords: This card tells of a powerful force for good and protection, a holy symbol of great hope. There is a town where all is not well. There you will find a house of corruption, and within, a dark room full of still ghosts.
- 5, the Myrmidon of Swords: This is a card of power and strength. It tells of a weapon of vengeance: a sword of sunlight. Look for a den of wolves in the hills overlooking a mountain lake. The treasure belongs to Mother Night.
- the Tempter of Crowns: This card sheds light on one who will help you greatly in the battle against darkness. I see a child:—a Vistana. You must hurry, for her fate hangs in the balance. Find her at the lake!
- the Raven of Crowns: Your enemy is a creature of darkness, whose powers are beyond mortality. This card will lead you to him! Look to the mother’s tomb.
After the reading, you spent the rest of the day and the night with the Vistani around their fire and heard the following story:
“A mighty wizard came to this land over a year ago. I remember him like it was yesterday. He stood exactly where you’re standing. A very charismatic man, he was. He thought he could rally the people of Barovia against the devil Strahd. He stirred them with thoughts of revolt and bore them to the castle en masse. When the vampire appeared, the wizard’s peasant army fled in terror. A few stood their ground and were never seen again. The wizard and the vampire cast spells at each other. Their battle flew from the courtyards of Ravenloft to a precipice overlooking the falls. I saw the battle with my own eyes. Thunder shook the mountainside, and great rocks tumbled down upon the wizard, yet by his magic he survived. Lightning from the heavens struck the wizard, and again he stood his ground. But when the devil Strahd fell upon him, the wizard’s magic couldn’t save him. I saw him thrown a thousand feet to his death. I climbed down to the river to search for the wizard’s body, to see if, you know, he had anything of value, but the River lvlis had already spirited him away.”
One of the Vistani then warned you to avoid an old mill you will encounter along the road to Vallaki.
After leaving the encampment, you came to a roaring falls and magically searched the rocks below. When doing so, you found a mirror that glowed with magic. After that, you continued along the road and came across the old mill that you were warned about. You have decided to approach it despite the warnings you were given.
And this is where we are now…